Now we know that the Dark Knight's freshman year is coming to DVD on October 18th.
So after Producer Bruce Timm's assurances that it'll be faithful to the Miller/Mazzucchelli work that inspired it, after the recent, brief, almost teaser-y trailer, we finally have a release date for the animated version of Batman: Year One.
Besides the digital copy, it doesn't sound like there will be a huge difference between the DVD and Blu-Ray versions of the movie. WB Animation has also released the specs on the disc release of the movie which you can find below:
- Feature film
- Sneak Peek at Justice League: Doom, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
- DC Showcase Animated Original Short – “Catwoman”: This all-new entry to the growing canon of DC Universe animated shorts features the first first solo tale centered around Catwoman. The felonious feline’s adventure takes her through the seedy streets of Gotham City. Catwoman is voiced by Eliza Dushku (Dollhouse, Tru Calling).
- Featurette –“Heart of Vengeance: Returning Batman to His Roots”: “The Dark Knight Returns” provided the denouement of Batman's life. Frank Miller's next seminal work would provide his near-mythic origin in “Batman: Year One.” This documentary uncovers the contemporary genius of Miller and the audience that was poised to appreciate the depths of his work.
- Featurette –“Conversations with DC Comics”: The Batman creative team at DC Entertainment discusses the personal influence of “Batman: Year One” on their careers. Batman producer Michael Uslan leads the chat amongst well-known writers, editors and artists of the Batman lore, focusing their dialogue on the darker, realistic interpretation of Batman’s origins by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli
- Audio Commentary with Alan Burnett, Sam Liu, Mike Carlin and Andrea Romano
- “Batman: Year One, Chapter 1” Digital Comic Book
- Two bonus episodes from “Batman: The Animated Series,” handpicked by Bruce Timm
- Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
- Digital copy on disc of the feature film compatible with iTunes and Windows
Here's the official synopsis:
Batman: Year One is based on the landmark 1987 DC Comics titles from 12-time Eisner Award winner Frank Miller and illustrator David Mazzucchelli. The film depicts young Bruce Wayne’s return to Gotham City in his first attempts to fight injustice as a costumed vigilante. The playboy billionaire chooses the guise of a giant bat to combat crime, creates an early bond with a young Lieutenant James Gordon (who is already battling corruption from inside the police department), inadvertently plays a role in the birth of Catwoman, and helps to bring down a crooked political system that infests Gotham.
Batman: Year One will be on DVD, Blu-Ray and VOD on October 18th.