The third annual gathering of Game of Thrones hobby gaming fans has been announced by Fantasy Flight Games. Set to take place from May 18th through the 20th at the publisher's Roseville, Minnesota-based Event Center, the Days of Ice and Fire event announcement had an interesting bit of news tucked away in it: a new Game of Thrones Board Game expansion will debut there.
Designed to re-theme the game around the most recent novel, A Dance With Dragons, this expansion is being used to spark interest in the weekend event by announcing it in this manner and promising attendees a sneak peek. In fact, all pre-registered attendees will walk away with a free copy of this new 42-card deck and modified rules set. Those who can't make the trip will have to wait until later in the year when this A Dance With Dragons deck will become available as part of Fantasy Flight's Print on Demand expansion program.
A new deck of cards and a few rules twists will transform the Game of Thrones Board Game's setting from the first to fifth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.
That's not all that Days of Ice and Fire has to offer, though.
Fans of Fantasy Flight's other Game of Thrones-themed games will get their due as well. The Game of Thrones LCG will have a new team challenge play mode available, which promises to offer "a unique strategic variant that pits teams against each other in an unprecedented fashion." The Battles of Westeros tactical combat game is not left out, either. Fans of that game system will get the first chance to play with an unnamed expansion, while enjoying use of high-end custom terrain tables made to resemble the lands of Westeros and Essos. There will even be a special Dance With Dragons-themed scenario battle available for play.
A look at the Fantasy Flight Games Event Center, where Days of Ice and Fire will be held
Days of Ice and Fire will also be home to plenty of fierce competition. The Game of Thrones LCG will have its regional championship there, but the event will also be home to a brand new gameplay-driven contest. Upon entry to Days of Ice and Fire, each attendee will be assigned to one of the major houses of Westeros. All weekend long, the accomplishments of individual players will feed into the standing of their house. Whichever one ends the weekend on top will be treated to a Dothraki feast, and the leading individual of that house will lay claim to the Iron Throne. I'm not quite sure what either of those prizes entail, but I want them both.
As has become tradition for Days of Ice and Fire, pre-registered attendees will receive a generous bag of Game of Thrones-themed swag. From Fantasy Flight's description of the event, the gifts will include:
- Forty-two House cards and rules for Dance with Dragons, an exciting new scenario that recasts the intrigues ofA Game of Thrones: The Board Game Second Edition in the time frame of A Dance with Dragons.
- A beautiful Days of Ice and Fire 2012 deck box. Its stunning artwork evokes the chill of the Wall and Jon Snow and the heat of the fires in which Daenerys became the Mother of Dragons. Store your A Game of Thrones: The Card Game cards in the best deck box Essos has to offer!
- A Days of Ice and Fire 2012 Commemorative “House of Black and White” coin. Welcome to Braavos – Valar morghulis!
- A custom souvenir Days of Ice and Fire name badge! When you pre-register, we’ll ask you to list your three favorites of the great Houses, and the earlier you register, the more likely you’ll be placed according to your first choice. Your eye-catching badge will display your name as well as your house.
- Entry into a drawing for exciting prizes!