By the time you've decided to have your wedding - not a fake one, but an actual, real, legally binding wedding - at a comic book convention, you've pretty much secured your geek cred. But Rob Bridges and Amy Banman didn't stop there, adding Storm Troopers, geeky music, and references to their happy day.
Yup, two nerds actually got hitched on the largest stage at this year's FanExpo Canada, in front of a few hundred of their closest friends, and the media. Just how the always pictured it! And though in reality the short ceremony hewed closer to an actual ceremony despite the setting (if I was to play armchair psychologist, I might guess Banman wanted to play it straight, while Bridges leaned geeky, based on Bridges taking the brunt of the nerd ephemera), there were still a few fun touches:
- Bridges entered to the Imperial March, guarded by a cadre of Storm Troopers.
- The officiant's speech revolved around Uncle Ben's famous saying. No, not "It really does make a difference!" That's the rice. You know the one we mean.
- Bridges put the ring on Banman's finger, and then recited a modified version of the Green Lantern oath.
- Their post-smooch song was "Kiss The Girl" from Little Mermaid, and then they made a love potion together. Which is a reference to something clearly so geeky even I, a writer for MTV Geek didn't get it.
- Bridges having to lightsaber battle someone when the officiant asked if anyone had any objections. There wasn't a single super-villain attack!
- Any references at all to the wedding speech from Princess Bride. Not even a, "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us together today." Come on, guys.
- They didn't get medals at the end.
I guess they didn't want to make a mockery of their wedding or something? Weird. Anyway, here's some pictures from the happy day, a special event that will be remembered all the way until the next FanExpo, when there's probably another wedding. Take my suggestions, guys: